The Canton of Axed Root presents:
A Feast of Fools: Saxon Balls
September 23, 2017
Join the populace of the sinister Canton of Axed Root as we enjoy some of our favorite things – crafting leather sacks and bags, making glass balls and beads, and eating delicious snacks with our friends. We will have space available for classes on leather working, lampworking, and gaming. Our afternoon ‘feast’ will feature finger foods that are easy to eat while you play games and gamble. Please feel free to bring your games and tokens!
Want to join in the fun and teach a class or run a game? If you have something you would like scheduled, please let us know!
NEW 09.11.2017: The class schedule, Inn menu, and a preview of Feast are now available below.
Site Information and Directions
Oakwood Road Community Center
2400 Oakwood Road
Ames, IA 50014
- Site Opens at 8:00am.
- Site Closes at 8:00pm.
- The site is a church/community center and is discreetly wet.
- Take your best route to Exit 111B on I-35 outside of Ames, IA
- Take I-35 Exit 111B onto US-30 West
- Continue on US-30 West for 3.5mi to Exit 146 for South University Blvd
- Exit onto South University Avenue keeping left at the fork of the Exit Ramp
- Turn Left onto South University Blvd
- Turn Right onto Oakwood Road; the site will be on the Left
Event Registration Information
- Adult Registration*: $20.00
- Adult Member Registration**: $15.00
- Youth Registration (5-17): $10.00
- Child Registration (under 5): Free
- Make Checks payable to: SCA, Inc. – Canton of Axed Root
Feast is included in the site fee.
If you are unable to eat feast, we cannot discount your registration fee. We would like everyone to participate in our evening of gaming even if they choose not to graze.
* Adult Registration is for attendees who are not Registered Members of the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA).
** Adult Member Registration is for attendees who hold a current membership with the SCA. Membership provides a $5 discount on Registration Fees for Events. For information on how to obtain a SCA Membership, visit SCA Memberships.
- Glass Classes: Didn’t get enough torch time at Lilies? Didn’t have time to stop by the glass tent at Lilies? Always wanted to make beads but didn’t know how? We will have a set up for lampworking/glass bead making outside.
- Leather Classes: Always wanted to make your own pouch or bag? We have a number of classes that can help you with that.
- Gaming: Our common area will have games, cards, and dice for you to play with all day. We may even have some tokens for you! Please feel free to bring your favorite games as well and force – err – ask others to join you.
- Fighting: Zachariah MacDonald is the Marshal in Charge for the event.
The class schedule is now available at the link below. Classes will run from 9am to 5pm. The link also includes a description of the classes, max class size, and fees if applicable. Thank you to all who volunteered to teach!
The Honorable Marie de Puy will be providing Inn for the event. The menu is as follows:
- Lamb Stew
- Lentil Soup / Pottage (vegan)
- Cold Veggies
What Feast of Fools would be complete without a feast? We will be featuring a selection of finger foods and small bites for you to nibble on during your gaming and gambling. If you would like to volunteer as a server to circulate among the tables with small trays, please contact the event stewards. We do not promise that costumes won’t be required…
Here is a beginning list of some of our finger foods. There will be gluten free and keto friendly options.
- Hedgehog meatballs (pork and spices)
- Sausage balls (pork sausage, cheese, egg, almond flour)
- Lombard chicken tarts (chicken, bacon, egg)
- Lemon chicken
- Spinach tarts
- Torta Bianca tarts (ginger cheesecake)
- Apple tarts
- Bacon wrapped dates
- Hummus, tzatziki, baba ganoush
- Pita bread
Event Stewards / Autocrats
Lady Zaneta Baseggio, mka Crystal Tice
515-520-9139 (no calls after 9pm, please)
Lord Ulfvaldr Folkmarsson, mka Skyllar Robben
515-537-6936 (no calls after 9pm, please)